The Advantages of Laparoscopic Hernia Repair
The Advantages of Laparoscopic Hernia Repair by Dr. Iraniha
There are many advantages to the minimally invasive method for hernia repair compared to open technique. These advantages are:
- Smaller Incisions with better cosmetic result
- Reduced post-operative pain, swelling and discomfort. This also associated with decrease trauma to the abdominal wall which decrease the post-operative morbidity and complications.
- Faster recovery
- Faster return to work and activity
- Reduced incidence of wound healing complications (i.e. infection and wound separation)
- The ability to perform additional intra-abdominal procedures at the same time
- Increased ability to diagnose and repair additional asymptomatic hernia defects. During minimally invasive surgery the opposite side can be clearly visualized. In this manner, both sides can be repaired with no need for additional incisions. Since 30 % of patients with groin hernias will have an asymptomatic hernia on the opposite side, the minimally invasive technique for hernia repair has a significant advantage in this respect. the occult hernia consisted of a beginning hernia. Eventually, one of five will become symptomatic and require repair. These outcomes support immediate repair of occult defects, no matter its size
Need to schedule a consultation with Dr. Iraniha?
Click on the Contact Us button to start the consultation schedule. Thank you!